15. You have eaten cabbage (or VARZA as we call it here) in more ways than you could ever imagine. Honestly, I didn't even know cabbage could be used for so much. And in fact, I'm never calling it cabbage again as "VARZA" is just so much cooler.
|It its purest form.|
|Pretty much sums up the drinking and festivities.|
|They are so heartbroken when they realize I really HAVEN'T met her|
10. You can't imagine your life without a SHOARMA. How did you live before? The deliciousness of the pita with the chicken and the fries and cabbage and sauces and onions-heaven in your mouth. The common street food turned delicacy. And per Brittany G-"Don't you EVEN waste your time on a small one." Go big or go home.
|Will be recreating this in the states.|
|Never thought I would love these so much.|
|Oh hello Personal Train.|
7. You cannot send a letter home without it taking weeks (OK or months-I heard some of you just got my Christmas cards!) but you can download an entire TV series in a matter of a few hours and that new movie you saw just came out in the states? Yeah I got that too.
|My new obsession. Mad Men.|
|Oh yeah..look at that Mamaliga.|
5. The street dogs are the smartest damn dogs you've ever seen. They cross the street at the appropriate crosswalks, sit where they will get the most food, and always escort me to the train station when I'm alone. I've adopted several of them and know each one that hangs out on my walk to school.
4. You start to crave anything spicy. Your wish list home includes things like curry sauce, chili pepper and Tabasco sauce. However, once you actually get a hold of something spicy you realize you can't even handle it anymore because your taste buds aren't used to it. (I'm not giving up though!)
3. You will forever consider American weddings slow and SHORT after attending Romanian ones. For it truly is not a wedding unless you're dancing, drinking, and eating until 5 or 6 in the morning and the bride has been stolen and returned to the party. Seriously. And pace yourself with the food, because the 7 course meal just keeps coming and coming.
|One of the weddings I attended!|
1. Your travel plans now include places like Bosnia, Serbia, Cyprus and Istanbul. You also take any opportunity you can to see more of Romania. From Transylvania to the Black Sea, Moldova to Banat, there are thousands and things to do, see, and explore. The people, the food, the customs-life is never boring here in the land of Dracula and there is no where I'd rather be during my PC service!
|Traditional Costumes and Dancing in Maramures, Northern Romania|
There are so many more and I'll continue to update these as time continues to fly by!