Monday, January 30, 2012

Ice and Lice.

Oh yeah, you read that right.

So today was interesting...starting from the moment I walked out my front door. I was in a hurry to get to school (just HAD to push that snooze button a 4th time...) and I was wearing some black boots with absolutely no traction. Now you might think this is dumb for January, in Romania, but you forget that I live on the west side (pretty much in Hungary) and we haven't had any snow for weeks. WEEKS. It doesn't even feel like winter here. So I ran out of the house with my boots, cute skirt and top and thought nothing of it. 

I turned the corner onto the road, jogging a bit to save some time and BAM. Ice patch. Before I knew it I was on the ground (well, after landing prettttyyy damn hard on my left knee) and I was in pain. Sooo much pain. My purse and its contents flew over my head into a mud puddle and for a second I just stayed on the ground, incredulous-is this real life!? What an epic fall. 

I looked around quickly to see who might have noticed and sure enough there was a woman walking towards me from the market. "Are you ok??" she asked, eyes wide, staring at the mud all over my skirt, and the nice hole on the left knee of my tights. I assured her I was, and limped off towards school.

I always make fun of volunteers who wear those ice grip "yak tracks" on their shoes in the winter. Karma: you know what it is.

So, I arrived at school and walked into the teacher's lounge. Everyone was in a frenzy, and I listened in trying to understand what all the fuss was about. I heard the word "sick" in Romanian, then I heard "three kids", then finally my friend walked up to me and said "We have fleas."

Beg pardon?

"Who is WE? What? Where?" I stammered back. 

"Ohh no, wait wait, not fleas, I'm confused with my English" he responded, and I started to breathe a sigh of relief. 

"LICE! That is what they are called. We have a LICE outbreak in school. Do you know what those are??" He looked at me and scratched at his head.

Oh sweet lord...

I'm off to take my second shower of the day, just to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment