Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Settling In at Site

So I have been here over a week and I am falling in love with Recas more and more every day. When I last wrote, I was staying with my host family until my apartment was finished. Well, it is semi ready but ready enough for me to move in! IT IS GORGEOUS. I feel so blessed to have this place. The town has refinished it for me, and I have all new appliances-stove, sink, countertops, WASHING MACHINE, bed, desk and dresser set...its more than I could have imagined. I have put pictures up on my facebook account but once I am back at home I will add some on here. I have two bedrooms, one large enough for SEVERAL visitors...so plan your trip!! Haha.

I have been integrating into my town with the help of my new friends (and community mentors) Veronica and Silvia. They have been so wonderful, inviting me over for dinner almost every night, settling up my apartment, basically being here for me no matter what question I have or if I just need someone to talk to. I visited a nearby village (Stanciova) with another new friend, Teodora. I was able to pet some goats and take pictures of the gorgeous countryside, all while feasting on the best watermelon I have ever tasted in my life. It is truly a beautiful location, Recas and the surrounding areas.

This past weekend I was able to spend some time with fellow volunteers in Timisoara. We stayed with Katie, and we had a blast exploring the city, taking pictures, and organizing the biggest and best scavenger hunt that the westside of Romania has ever known. We made a list, then gave ourselves 12 hours (5PM to 5AM) to complete the tasks. Each task had to be caught on camera for proof. Off we went, in search of our first task, which was to buy matching shirts for the hunt. We located some at the mall, pink, muscle tank tops...perfect! Then next twelve hours were spent taking pictures of things like, for example, a rat tail..or doing things like singing Lean On Me in the middle of the street. It was so much fun and I have not laughed that hard in along time. All the pictures can be seen tagged on Facebook if you want to check them out.

Sadly, my macbook has decided it no longer wants to charge, so I am going to Timisoara today to see if I can buy a new charger, or see what the problem is. I THINK Timisoara has an apple store, but cross your fingers! If not..I am out a computer for awhile so posts might be less frequent. I will keep you posted.

Good news though-my parents are coming at Christmas time!! I am so, so excited to have them here and show them where I am living, the wonderful people I am meeting, and maybe to teach them a bit of Romanian? Haa. December cannot come soon enough!

Miss you all, thank you for your continued emails, comments, and support from across the ocean.

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
Jawaharlal Nehru

No comments:

Post a Comment